The NATIVE AMERICAN TV WRITERS LAB is an intensive scriptwriters workshop that prepares Native Americans for writing careers at major television networks.
The NATIVE AMERICAN TV WRITERS LAB was created in accordance with the Skins Fest’s mission to improve media portrayals of Native Americans and to increase the number of Native Americans employed in all facets of the media industry. It is widely understood that non-Native Americans primarily learn about our community from what they see on television.
We work to increase the number of Native Americans employed in all facets of the media industry and with the idea that if there are more diverse writers present at the writer’s table, more diversity will be reflected on TV.
The NATIVE AMERICAN TV WRITERS LAB is designed to familiarize participants with the format, characters and storyline structure of television. A total of 7 writers are accepted nationwide from an established network of non-profit agencies, schools, universities, guilds and media organizations. The goal is that the writers garner the skills necessary to obtain employment in the industry.
The five-week lab will consist of panel discussions, one on one meetings and group workshops. One of the main components to be introduced is the writers room. This is an opportunity to have each participant’s script offered up in a professional capacity as a new television script. All of the writers will participate in offering ideas, suggestions, and thoughts on making it a strong piece.
In addition, each writer will work with a mentor to discuss re-writes, confer about the day’s events, and be afforded time to work on their respective scripts. The goal of each component is to get their scripts in the best shape possible.
The NATIVE AMERICAN TV WRITERS LAB is for seasoned Native American writers who have written feature, short or television scripts. Each selected participant is expected to complete a draft of a script by the end of the five-week session.
The scripts will then be read and critiqued by network executives. Those writers whose scripts show promise will be interviewed and mentored by the network executives with the objective of placing them on a network show.
- Skins Summer Writers Workshop August 20, 2015 @ 12:00 am - 5:00 pm Aug 20 @ 12:00 am The LA Skins Fest held its Summer Writers Workshop sponsored by HBO, NBCUNIVERSAL, Sony Pictures, CBS, Universal, ABC/DISNEY and the Writers Guild of America, West. Special thanks to our first... Film Details
- LA SKINS FEST Native Writers Workshop November 11, 2015 @ 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm Nov 11 @ 5:00 pm The 2015 NOVEMBER WRITERS WORKSHOP is the final component of a year long Writers Workshop Series. This is an introductory scriptwriters program that prepares Native Americans for television and film writing careers. The... Film Details
- Skins Writers Workshop November 12, 2015 @ 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm Nov 12 @ 2:00 pm On Wednesday November 11th 2015, Native American writers participated in an intensive workshop sponsored by NBC, ABC, CBS, BET, HBO and Sony Pictures. Native writers received guidance on pitching their projects from... Film Details
- NATIVE AMERICAN TV WRITERS LAB April 11, 2016 @ 5:00 pm Apr 11 @ 5:00 pm CALL FOR SCRIPT SUBMISSIONS (Deadline April 11th) Film Details
- 2016 NATIVE AMERICAN WRITERS LAB May 16, 2016 @ 8:00 am - June 19, 2016 @ 5:00 pm May 16 @ 8:00 am Selected Participants Film Details
- 2016 Native American TV Writers Lab – Day One May 17, 2016 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm May 17 @ 8:00 pm On the 1st day Native Writers pitched their new script ideas to the group and received feedback. Sponsored by NBCUniversal, CBS Entertainment Diversity, FOX Audience Strategy, and HBO The NATIVE... Film Details
- 2016 NATIVE AMERICAN TV WRITERS LAB –Day 2 May 18, 2016 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm May 18 @ 8:00 pm DAY TWO of THE NATIVE AMERICAN TV WRITERS LAB. Television Writer Ryan Harris (Chicago Fire, Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia) spoke with eight Native American writers about his path in... Film Details
- NATIVE AMERICAN WRITERS GROUP October 29, 2016 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm Oct 29 @ 3:00 pm The LA SKINS FEST is a Native American film festival that offers career development and professional opportunities. Since 2012, we have offered a monthly writers group for Native Americans. This is a... Film Details
- 2016 NATIVE AMERICAN WRITERS WORKSHOP November 15, 2016 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm Nov 15 @ 12:00 pm The 2016 NATIVE AMERICAN WRITERS WORKSHOP was the final component of a year long Writers Lab. This was an intensive writing program that prepared Native Americans for television and film writing careers.... Film Details
- 2017 NATIVE AMERICAN TV WRITERS LAB March 25, 2017 @ 5:00 am - April 1, 2017 @ 5:00 pm Mar 25 @ 5:00 am Submission is Now Closed Film Details