- This event has passed.
2016 Call for Entries
September 23, 2016 @ 5:00 pm
The Los Angeles Skins Festival (LA SKINS FEST) is now accepting film submissions for its 10th annual film festival to be held November 15-20th, 2016. LA SKINS FEST annually showcases works by independent Native American filmmakers that provide insight into the beauty, complexity and diversity of Native American people. The festival helps filmmakers show their work so audiences of all ages and interests can enrich their experience and understanding of Native American cultures.
Every year, the LA SKINS FEST premiers several Native American movies that feature Q&A’s with filmmakers, panel discussions with industry professionals, and after-parties that feature Native American musicians. The SKINS AWARD SHOW is our closing night event that honors the great achievements in Native American filmmaking.
In the past ten years, the LA SKINS FEST has garnered support from several art foundations, entertainment corporations, and Native American tribes. NBCUniversal, Sony Pictures, HBO, Paramount Pictures, CBS, San Manuel Band of Mission Indians, and the Ramona Band of Mission Indians have been supporters from our inception. In 2016, Fox Audience Strategy, Lionsgate, the Viejas Band of Kumeyaay, and the Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma joined the LA SKINS FEST to provide great opportunities for the festival.
- Entries must be by/or have a Native American/First Nation/Indigenous artist involved in the project (Please include tribal affiliation).
- We accept films made by non-Native American filmmaker but the films must be Native American themed.
- Films must not be available on the Internet or have been broadcast nationally on cable or satellite television prior to the festival screening.
- Works must be made within the past two years
- Films in languages other than English with English subtitles will be accepted for consideration.
- Films must not have other screenings scheduled in Los Angeles during November 2016.
ACCEPTABLE FORMATS FOR SUBMISSION
You may send a downloadable link of your film (Vimeo, Dropbox, or YouTube) along with with the submission form to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail submissions (include submission form, entry fee, and preview copy of film) to the LASF offices, or submit through film freeway.
Submissions via mail should be sent to:
LA SKINS FEST
1801 N Kingsley Dr #102
Los Angeles, Ca 90027
*** If you are applying by e-mail or mail, check should be mailed to the festival office. Make check to Barcid Foundation.
- A password protected preview of the film sent to us through Vimeo, Dropbox, or YouTube.
- Completed online entry form through Filmfreeway, download application and submit through e-mail (email@example.com) or by mail.
- Two stills from the film (color preferred, B&W accepted). Digital stills and press kits are preferred. Stills must be hi-res.
- One photo of the director
- Full cast/crew list.
- Film synopsis – 120 word logline/synopsis of the film and a 20 word logline/synopsis of film. Short films are only required to provide the 20 word logline.
- Payment – if not paid through Filmfreeway, a check should be mailed to the festival office.
- You may email all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload them to Filmfreeway.
***Please note that our festival does not pay screening fees for submitted films.
NOTIFICATION OF ENTRY STATUS
Filmmakers will be notified in mid-October 2016 as to whether or not their film has been officially selected. Upon acceptance the filmmaker will receive an email verifying selection status. Be sure to have email@example.com on your accepted email list.
DEADLINES AND FEES:
Submission Deadline: Sept 23, 2016
Features submission fee: $15
Shorts submission fee: $10
Late Submission Deadline: Oct 7, 2016
Late Submission fee: $25
Filmmakers seeking a fee waiver are welcome to contact us. LASF will review the requests and grant waiver opportunities based on need, professionalism, and filmmaker track record. Please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The LA SKINS FEST will celebrate filmmakers whose original works is distinguished in their category. A pre-screening committee will select four finalists in each category after viewing all selected to be part of the competition. Awards will be given the following categories:
- Best Narrative
- Best Documentary
- Best Narrative Short
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Animation
- Audience Award
- Best Emerging Filmmaker
***This is a no cash value award.