14th Annual LA SKINS FEST Call For Films
June 9 @ 8:00 am - July 31 @ 5:00 pm
Entries are officially being accepted for the 14th Annual LA SKINS FEST presented by COMCAST NBCUniversal. Festival will be taking November 17th – 22nd, 2020 in Hollywood, CA. Qualified filmmakers can submit their entries through filmfreeway.com.
Deadlines to submit are:
Early Deadline July 31st, 2020.
Regular Deadline August 28th, 2020.
Final deadline September 18th, 2020.
The LA SKINS FEST will celebrate filmmakers whose original works are distinguished and offer a new voice in cinema. Films accepted in the festival will be eligible for the competition and prizes from our corporate sponsors. This year, awards will be given to the following categories: Achievement in Narrative Filmmaking, Documentary, Narrative Short, Documentary Short, Animation, Writer, Director, Actor, Actress and Audience Award.
This year’s festival opens at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and continues at the historic TCL Chinese Theater. The film festival will premier exciting new Indigenous films, provide the 9th Writers Pitch Fest, host Native American filmmakers from throughout North, Central and South America and present the 9th Annual Native Media Awards Celebration.
The Festival is an initiative of the Native American non-profit the Barcid Foundation and aims to showcase the rising talent in Native American filmmaking. This year the LA SKINS FEST is expanding the screening series to accommodate the growing talent in Indian Country.
Corporate support of the LA SKINS FEST plays an essential role in the life of the festival and emphasizes the festival’s commitment to quality, exploration, and excellence in the art of cinema, TV and new media. The Los Angeles Skins Fest is privileged to partner with some of the world’s most renowned entertainment brands this year; including Comcast NBCUniversal, Walt Disney Studios, Bank of America, San Manuel Band of Mission Indians, Bad Robot, Motion Picture Association, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Cast & Crew, Google American Indian Network, STARZ, Snowpants Productions, Kung Fu Monkey Productions, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs, Final Draft, and City of Los Angeles Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell.
- ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Entries must be by/or have a Native American/First Nation/Indigenous artist involved in the project (Please include tribal affiliation).
- Films must NOT have other screenings scheduled in Los Angeles during November 2020. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- We accept films made by non-Native American filmmaker but the films must be Native American themed.
- Films must not be available on the Internet or have been broadcast nationally on cable or satellite television prior to the festival screening.
- Works must be made within the past two years
- Films in languages other than English with English subtitles will be accepted for consideration.
- DEADLINES AND FEES:
- Early Deadline: July 31st, 2020.
- Narrative Features$30
- Documentary Feature $30
- Narrative Short $20
- Documentary Short $20
- Student Film $15
- Regular Deadline:August 28th, 2020.
- Narrative Features$45
- Documentary Feature $45
- Narrative Short $35
- Documentary Short $35
- Student Film $25
- Late Submission September 18th, 2020
- Narrative Features$60
- Documentary Feature $60
- Narrative Short $50
- Documentary Short $50
- Student Film $35
- WHERE TO SUBMIT :
- The LA SKINS FEST proudly accepts entries via FilmFreeway.com, the world’s best online submission platform. FilmFreeway offers free HD online screeners, unlimited video storage, digital press kits, and more. Click on the icon below to submit through film freeway:
- SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS :
- Completed online entry information through Filmfreeway.
- A password protected preview of the film sent to us through Vimeo, Dropbox, or YouTube.
- Two stills from the film (color preferred, B&W accepted).Digital stills and press kits are preferred.Stills must be hi-res.
- One photo of the director
- Full cast/crew list.
- Film synopsis – 120 word logline/synopsis of the film and a 20 word logline/synopsis of film.Short films are only required to provide the 20 word logline.
- Pay Submission Fee
***Please note that our festival does not pay screening fees for submitted films.
- NOTIFICATION OF ENTRY STATUS :
- Filmmakers will be notified in early October 2020 as to whether or not their film has been officially selected. Upon acceptance the filmmaker will receive an email verifying selection status. Be sure to have email@example.com on your accepted email list.
- COMPETITION :
- The LA SKINS FEST will celebrate filmmakers whose original works is distinguished in their category.A pre-screening committee will select four finalists in each category after viewing all selected to be part of the competition.Awards will be given the following categories:
- Best Narrative
- Best Documentary
- Best Narrative Short
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Animation
- Audience Award
- Emerging Filmmaker
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Director
- Best Writer
- About The LA SKINS FEST
- The prestigious Los Angeles Skins Fest ranks among the country’s best film festivals and is an annual gathering for film industry insiders, cinema enthusiasts, filmmakers, and critics. The LA Skins Fest is considered a major launching ground for Indian Country’s most talked about films. Founded in 2007, the Los Angeles Skins Fest, presented in the historic TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, is a 6-day multicultural event celebrating the art of film, TV and new media. The Los Angeles Skins Fest’s long‐standing commitment is to join filmmakers and film connoisseurs together to experience great cinema. The exciting schedule consists of dozens of filmmakers presenting their newest works, special artist development programs, tributes to community leaders, special events, and remarkable films. Festival headquarters are in Los Angeles, CA.