Due to the incredible success of the TV Writers Lab, the LA SKINS FEST has created the NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB. The NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB is an intensive scriptwriters workshop that prepares Native Americans for writing careers at major film studios and production companies. The inaugural program is supported by COMCAST NBCUniversal, The Walt Disney Company, HBO and Turner.
The NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB is designed to familiarize participants with the format, characters and storyline structure of narrative feature film. The ten week total immersion workshop will be conducted in Los Angeles, CA and offer intensive instruction throughout the duration of the lab.
A total of 5 writers will be accepted throughout Native American and indigenous communities from an established network of tribes, non-profit agencies, universities, guilds and media organizations. The overall goal is that the participants garner the skills necessary to obtain employment as writers in the industry.
The NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB consists of the selected participants meeting five days a week for ten weeks, receiving instruction from professional writers and learning about the feature film industry. The lab participants will meet with working writers and creative executives to offer their background, perspective, and advice. The scripts will have a staged reading at the 12th Annual LA SKINS FEST in November.
The NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB will take place in August to October of 2018.
How it Works:
If accepted into the program you must be willing to make a commitment to meeting evenings on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and in the day on Saturdays and Sundays. This program will be for ten weeks. We do not provide travel or housing.
Who Should Apply:
The NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB is for writers who are capable of writing a feature script within ten-weeks. Each selected participant is expected to complete at least one script by the end of the ten-week session.
When to Apply:
The submission period for the NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB is now open.
How to Apply:
Email a completed application, a completed release form, submit one writing sample of a theatrical play or feature film script in any genre. Please note that writing teams are ineligible. You must be 18 or over to apply. All submitted material must be original, and all rights must be wholly owned by the writer.
The NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB early deadline to apply is May 25th, 2018 (Regular deadline is June 1st, Late deadline June 8th, 2018).
- 2018 Completed Application Form (download 2018 NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE WRITERS LAB APPLICATION here )
- One Writing sample in .pdf format (we only accept feature length script or full length stage play)
- Resume or Bio in .pdf or .doc format
- Statement of interest: Why do you want to write full length feature scripts? in .pdf or .doc format
- Signed release forms in .pdf or .doc format. (Release Form pdf or Release Form doc.)
- Professional references with contact information
- Submission Fee
- -Submission fee can be paid through PayPal
- The NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB early deadline to apply
- is May 25th, 2018 (Regular deadline is June 1st, Late deadline June 8th, 2018).
– Or make your check, money order or cashier’s check payable to Barcid Foundation. Mail your submission fee to the following address:
- Barcid Foundation
- Attn: NATIVE AMERICAN FEATURE FILM WRITERS LAB
- 1801 N. Kingsley Dr #102 / Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Email all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org