Call for Film Entries
September 22 @ 11:55 pm
The LA SKINS FEST, a Native American Film Festival, is now accepting film submissions for its 11th annual film festival taking place November 14th-19th, 2017 at the TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood, CA.
The LA SKINS FEST annually showcases works by independent Native American filmmakers that provide insight into the beauty, complexity and diversity of Native American people. The festival offers filmmakers an opportunity to show their work so audiences of all ages and interests can enrich their experience and understanding of Native American cultures.
In 2017, we are adding an on-line film festival sponsored by one of our industry partners. This will give Native American filmmakers another opportunity to have their work distributed.
Every year, the LA SKINS FEST premiers several Native American movies that feature Q&A’s with filmmakers, panel discussions with industry professionals, and after-parties with Native American musicians. Our annual award ceremony honors the great achievements in Native American filmmaking and provides monetary prizes as well as distribution to new platforms.
In the past eleven years, the LA SKINS FEST has garnered support from several art foundations, entertainment corporations, and Native American tribes. NBCUniversal, CBS Entertainment Development, CBS Corp, HBO, ABC/DISNEY, the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians, Lionsgate, A&E Networks, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Department of Cultural Affairs and the Ramona Band of Mission Indians are valuable supporters. In 2017, the National Endowment for the Arts and Turner Broadcasting Systems joined the LA SKINS FEST to provide great opportunities for the festival.
- Entries must be by/or have a Native American/First Nation/Indigenous artist involved in the project (Please include tribal affiliation).
- We accept films made by non-Native American filmmaker but the films must be Native American themed.
- Films must not be available on the Internet or have been broadcast nationally on cable or satellite television prior to the festival screening.
- Works must be made within the past two years
- Films in languages other than English with English subtitles will be accepted for consideration.
- Films must not have other screenings scheduled in Los Angeles during November 2017. NO EXCEPTIONS.
ACCEPTABLE FORMATS FOR SUBMISSION
You may send a downloadable link of your film (Vimeo, Dropbox, or YouTube) along with with the submission form to email@example.com, mail submissions (include submission form, entry fee, and preview copy of film) to the LASF offices, or submit through film freeway.
Submissions via mail should be sent to:
LA SKINS FEST
1801 N Kingsley Dr #102
Los Angeles, Ca 90027
*** If you are applying by e-mail or mail, check should be mailed to the festival office. Make check to Barcid Foundation.
- A password protected preview of the film sent to us through Vimeo, Dropbox, or YouTube.
- Completed online entry form through Filmfreeway, download application and submit through e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail.
- Two stills from the film (color preferred, B&W accepted). Digital stills and press kits are preferred. Stills must be hi-res.
- One photo of the director
- Full cast/crew list.
- Film synopsis – 120 word logline/synopsis of the film and a 20 word logline/synopsis of film. Short films are only required to provide the 20 word logline.
- Payment – if not paid through Filmfreeway, a check should be mailed to the festival office.
- You may email all materials to email@example.com or upload them to Filmfreeway.
***Please note that our festival does not pay screening fees for submitted films.
NOTIFICATION OF ENTRY STATUS
Filmmakers will be notified in mid-October 2017 as to whether or not their film has been officially selected. Upon acceptance the filmmaker will receive an email verifying selection status. Be sure to have firstname.lastname@example.org on your accepted email list.
DEADLINES AND FEES:
Submission Deadline: Sept 22, 2017
Features submission fee: $25
Shorts submission fee: $20
Late Submission Deadline: Oct 6, 2017
Late Submission fee: $30
The LA SKINS FEST will celebrate filmmakers whose original works is distinguished in their category. A pre-screening committee will select four finalists in each category after viewing all selected to be part of the competition. Awards will be given the following categories:
Best Narrative Short
Best Documentary Short
Best Emerging Filmmaker